History of 74 State Street in Albany
Lower State Street has been the center of Albany's development since the Dutch landed in 1609. The first house lots on State Street of Beverwyck were given out in the mid-1600's. Both the Dutch and English built their forts and churches on this, the main street of Albany.
The Van Schaick family was one of early Albany's most powerful and affluent clans. Merchants and traders, the Van Schaick's were large landowners as well. Gerrit S. Van Schaick, a veteran of the Battle of Saratoga and the Albany County Sheriff, owned a large tract of land on what is now Monroe Street, formerly Van Schaick Street. His cousin, Sybant G. Van Schaick, Mayor of Albany from 1756-1761, owned land and also established his family home on lower State Street. Sybrant's son Goose Van Schaick inherited the family home and thereafter purchased more property along State Street.
In 1851, S. Van Schaick owned the lot of 74 State Street. Located in the fourth ward, the lot included the three-story brick building and a brick house on Norton Street. Occupying 74 State Street was Archibald McClure. On the ../31 ../3/12 by 166 2/12 lot, McClure owned and operated a wholesale drugstore with partners William J. Walker and Charles Gibson. In 1854, the two stories were added. The five-story building, spanning the lots of 74-76 State Street, was listed as separate addresses starting in 1855; Archibald McClure's business designated as 74 State Street and the upper floors, inhabited by various tenants listed as 76 State Street.
Upon his death in 1872, his son Archibald McClure Jr., continued his father's firm and later went on to co-found the Department of Pharmacy at Union University, which later went on to become Albany College of Pharmacy. Susan T. McClure, widow of Archibald McClure Sr., became owner of the building. In 1875, 74 State was again listed as one address and assessed in the sixth ward. In 1878, Susan McClure sold the building to E.M. C. Olcott. Olcott then sold the building to McClure's partner William J. Walker. Walker and Gibson continued to operate the wholesale drugstore and in 1904, Gibson became owner of the building.
After closing their store, Gibson sold the building to Oscar F. Kinney, who in 1915 razed the original 74 State Street. According to the 1916 tax assessment, Kinney was in the process of building a nine-story, stone front building. Upon its completion in 1918, the new 74 State was assessed at $180,000.
Known as the Kinney and Woodward Building, the first tenant of the new 74 State Street was R.C. Reynolds Furniture Company that offered not only furniture, but also carpets, stoves and other household equipment. Reynolds Co. occupied the building until 19../30. In 19../31, Bond Clothes Inc. moved into the first three floors with other businesses occupying the upper floors, and the building became known as the Bond Building.
In the 1940's, in addition to many lawyers and insurance offices, 74 State was home to the New York Headquarters for the Selective Service System and many offices of the New York State Social Welfare department. Throughout the 1950's, New York State Telephone Company occupied the majority of the building. In 1968, 74 State became the home of National Commercial Bank's Installment Credit Department, New York State division of Employment & Human Resources and New York State Department of Civil Service Training Center.
The New York State Department of Social Services occupied 74 State from the mid 1960's until the mid-1990's. All branches of the United States Military had recruiting offices on the Second floor during the 1970's. The New York State Commission for the Visually Handicapped occupied the offices on the 4th and 7th floors during the 1970's and early 1980's.
After Bond Clothes Inc. closed in 1977, a McDonalds restaurant opened. In 1980, 74 State Street Corporation sold the building to Joseph Jampietro, which he sold in November 1981 to 74 State Street Associates. In 1994, the McDonald's restaurant left the building. Quackenbush & Tobin, an architecture firm; various offices of the New York State Department of Social Services; and several small law offices remained and the last tenants of 74 State Street. By 2001, the building was vacant and sold to RFC Property Inc. In October 2002, RFC Property Inc. sold the building to State Street Hospitality LLC. In January 2007, 74 State, the new luxury boutique hotel Albany, opened.
Constructed in approximately 1910 as an office building, a recently revealed cornerstone identifies 74 State as the former "Kinney and Woodward Building." Subsequently, the building was used as a retail furniture store (R.C. Reynolds based in Troy, NY) and by "Bond Clothes," which provided more recent identification as the "Bond Building." Now fully restored as an upscale hotel featuring lodging, conference and dining facilities.
Information obtained through re../search at the Albany County Hall of Records utilizing deeds, property assessments and Albany city directories. Additional information was obtained from Albany Tricentennial Guidebook, Duane LaFleche, Editor and articles from the Colonial Albany Social History Project.